Special Assistant - Executive Office of the Mayor
POSITION: Special Assistant
OPEN: January 31, 2022
CLOSE: Open until filled
SALARY RANGE/GRADE: Excepted Service ES6, ($64,442 to 80,645)
** Current District of Columbia residents will receive high preference in selection, including the resume review and interview process. **
The Special Assistant works under the broad administrative direction of the Deputy Chief of Staff (DCOS) in the Office of the Chief Of Staff, Executive Office of the Mayor. The Special Assistant is delegated broad latitude and authority in planning, designing, and carrying out overall objectives and strategic goals. The Special Assistant will work directly with and at the director of several senior staff in the Administration, including but not limited to: Chief of Staff (COS) and Deputy Chief of Staff (DCOS) to the Mayor,and the Director of the Mayor's Office of Talent and Appointments.
The ideal candidate has strong administrative skills, event planning, excellent writing and speaking skills and experience using excel and other data tracking platforms.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborates with others to prepare briefing materials, talking points, speeches, and presentations for the COS and DCOS.
- Maintains a schedule for work completion to ensure that tasks assigned by the DCOS are carried out in the timeframe and manner expected.
- Provides final review and editing of information submitted to the DCOS for briefing, action, or approval.
- Drafts memoranda and correspondence in collaboration with the DCOS.
- Establishes record-keeping protocols; ensuring that electronic records and documents are stored in a manner that is conducive to efficient retrieval by other staff.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of the structure of District government, communications protocols within and between District government agencies, and current events that impact or are important to the organization to ensure accurate communication with staff, the public, the media, and all other stakeholders on behalf of the Director
- Conducts research and completes special projects as assigned by the COS and DCOS
- Performs other administrative, program, and technical work to support the COS and DCOS and Executive Office of the Mayor operations.
- Assists with event logistics and planning for the Executive Office of the Mayor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Mastery of the mission, goals, policies, procedures, regulations, practices and programs of the Executive Office of the Mayor.
- Mastery of and skill in problem solving, negotiation strategies, and project management to conduct in-depth research and analysis.
- Superior oral and written communication skills to develop presentations and instructional material, reports, and correspondence; to prepare and present recommendations and solutions regarding complex issues based on analysis and evaluation, including the preparation of presentations, reports, proposals, etc.; and to articulate instructions and directives.
- Interpersonal and administrative skills sufficient to direct/organize and coordinate through systematic, professional efforts and comprehensive studies of those activities which serve as the sounding board for definition of major issues, and to lead to the development of new or revised procedural and/or policy proposals.
- Demonstrated skill and experience in providing leadership in a managerial capacity and in providing leadership in a team-based environment.
There is a legal requirement that each new appointee to the Excepted Service either: (1) be domiciled in the District of Columbia at the time of appointment; or (2) establish District domicile within one hundred eighty (180) days of appointment. The law also requires that Excepted Service employees maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment. Failure to maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment will result in forfeiture of employment.